Saturday, March 10, 2012

Blog Post #7

Wendy Drexler - The Networked Student
Wendy Drexler's video The Network Student shows a different way of learning. It shows how students can learn through social networks by connecting with other students online. It not only shows that you can connect with other people, but web content and information as well. It just shows another new 21st century way of learning through connectivism.

This video was pretty interesting and very illustrative. It shows a way of learning I have never heard of. I guess I am just oldd fashioned. I am okay with that though. I am more of a personal/face to face/ hands on interactive learner. It is all a matter of opinion and personal preference though. I don't think it should be something forced in a classroom or on a student if they prefer learning other ways.

I like technology. I like using technology as much as any other 21 year old. I don't want to be dependent on it though. I do think this video presents a good and positive way of using technology if it's a way you're interested in learning. It shows independence on the student's part and guidance from the teacher's. That too is good.

A 7th graders personal learning environment (or PLN)

In this video, a 7th grade student tells about her own PLN. It's really neat to see how other students are using personal learning environments not only to help themselves learn, but others as well. I too used Symbaloo to create my own PLN. Although my PLN is not as advanced as hers, I still find it to be very neat. I'm still learning.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kate,

    My name is also Kate :) I enjoyed your post. I understand what you are saying about not being completely dependent on technology, however, it seems that society is moving in that direction. Many children today are using an iPad before they can even form a full sentence. Although, as you said, it is a matter of a opinion as to whether or not a teacher incorporates technology into their learning environment, I think it is important to use technology in some way in lessons. I am not saying everything has to be taught through technology. As teachers, though, we must prepare our students for the future, a future that no doubt will be driven by technology. I enjoyed your post and thoughts. Keep up the good work and good luck in EDM 310!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I don't want to be dependent on it though." I bet you are much more dependent on technology than you think. We will find out later in the semester. stay tuned!

    "I'm still learning. " I hope you never stop!

    ReplyDelete