Sunday, April 29, 2012

Blog Post 13

As simple as it may sound to just be for one day, this was probably the most difficult post yet and I have still not mastered the full 24 hours without technology. Attempting to go without technology really makes you realize how much of it you truly do use and just how often. I first attempted this on Thursday. I did well until the evening when I was supposed to be going to a concert with friends and my grandma who was at my home in Mississippi watching my younger brother for me started panicing like a normal grandma would do over her grandchild (ha-ha) because she has to know where I am every minute (she thinks) and could not get in touch with me. I eventually had to relieve her, so that was a fail. I then attempted Friday. Friday was even worse than Thursday because my mother kept calling after my doctors appointments and blood work to make sure I was okay. My final attempt was Saturday. This day I started late at 1:00 and just went straight through to Sunday. It went pretty well because my parents were now home from Texas and were not trying to call me all of the time. I babysat my three year old cousin and we just played outside, watched movies, colored and read books and such. She is a handful, so she kept me pretty occupied. This assignment would have been much easier if it had not been during a week that my parents were out of town and I hadn't had so many health issues involving doctors appointments. However, this assignment even though not completely accomplished was a real eye opener for me. It shows how much we really do rely on technology. We really feel as though we cannot last a full day without it, and I believe we take it for granted because there is a larger percentage of the world that do not even get the option to use technology in their daily lives at all along with other things more important as well. With all of that being said and learned, who are we to completely try to take technology away from students in the classroom when that's all they have really known to grow up with in their daily lives? If it is so hard for us to go a day without it, it must be the same feeling for student to go that seven or more hours in the classroom without it. So why not utilize it? Why not incorporate it as much as you can into their learning in the classroom as well? Why not? The answer: there isn't one.
nomediapic

1 comment: