Sunday, April 1, 2012

Blog Post #9

What I've learned this year (first year)

In this blog post a teacher named Mr. Mcclung shares with us what he has learned in his first year of teaching. He tells how he has learned things such as: how to be flexible, communicate, don't be afraid of technology, listen to students, and last but not least never stop learning. Two things he said that caught my attention were "don't build your expectations too high for your students and become upset when they don't meet them", and "I truly believe that teachers do not know enough about the students they are teaching". I truly miss being in high school in a small town because I was actually close to my teachers and they really seemed to care. When cities, schools, and classes start to get bigger, it seems to get harder for teachers to truly interact with all of their students. I think one teacher here knows my name. I hope to be the teachers that appears to truly care about all of my students individually because I know how good that feels as a student. Another thing he said I liked was "it's never too late to change your way of thinking, learning, or style". That quote makes me think of his class because we are furthering our learning for our students. We need to continue to learn with our students.

alts"
"


What I've learned this year (second year)

In this blog post he shares all of the things he learned in his second year as a teacher. He talks about things such as: adapting, taking he path less traveled,finding your school mom, checking your ego at the door, not being a control freak,scope and sequence, not losing sight of what's important, and it's about what you learn after you know it all that matters. He talks about how stepping out of your comfort zone and change is good and ultimately makes us better teachers. He also talks about relaxing with all of your lesson plans instead of trying to perfect everything. I agree with both of those things although change can sometimes be scary. It does make us better though. Another thing he discussed that I really liked was don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself for the students to better learn or understand a concept. I hope to one day be that crazy fun teacher her students love and enjoy. I really enjoyed reading his posts and truly do believe they have and will continue to help future teachers prepare for what's ahead of them.

3 comments:

  1. Hey girly,
    First I want to start off by telling you I know you will be "that crazy fun teacher that her students love and enjoy." Just by meeting you I have come to learn how caring you are. I agree with the two quotes you pulled from Mr. Mcclung's essay. I also believe too many teachers focus on teaching rather than the students they are teaching. Keep up the good work girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helo Katelyn,

    First: your image is WAY too big, so you should probably go back and resize it. You can do this two ways. 1) HTML way: adjust width and height 2) Compose way: click on image and choose a smaller size.

    Second: The image must have alt and title tags.

    Third: Just be sure to go back and read over your posts. There were some spelling and grammatical errors that could have been prevented had you done so. Typing your posts in a Word Document first is also a good way to ensure that small errors are caught.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I had to do this one from my phone because I went home to my parents house and accidentally left my laptop charger in Mobile, so it was harder for me to see and do things.

    ReplyDelete